Refine Your Connection: Learn Joint Letters & Spacing (dip pen)
Whether you have just started or been doing calligraphy for years, this course helps to fine tune your letter connections and spacing. The course is based on Engrosser's Script, a classic style developed in the late 1800s in America. You will learn the method of breaking down the minuscules (lowercases) into individual stroke to develop a consistent writing rhythm.
Your instructor, Kalo is the first pen lady in Hong Kong to be awarded the Certificate of Proficiency in Engrosser's Script by the IAMPETH.
This is an 4 evening (8 hours total) beginner to intermediate course to Engrosser's Script, tailored for complete beginners and calligraphers with basic knowledge in dip pen but struggle to improve further.
Topic covers postures, pen grip, use of tools, warm up drills, principle strokes, movements, nib manipulation and shading techniques. You will learn to write the minuscules (lowercases) one stroke at a time and develop the muscle memory. The course focuses on technical exercises to achieve consistency in letter connections and spacing. Students will also receive constructive feedback on their homework to further improve their skills.
[ Dates ]
• 2 + 9 + 16 + 23 FEB (THUR) 2023 - 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM
[ Info ]
Level: BEGINNER to IMPROVER
*basic knowledge in dip pen calligraphy is preferred
Venue: Wyndham Street, Central (5 mins walk from the MTR)
Language: English only
[ Workshop Fee ]
• FOR 1 SEAT: $2,400 fee + $350 materials
• FOR 2 SEATS: $4,600 fee (save $200) + $700 materials
> Materials includes a set of KMA calligraphy starter kit here per person
• BRING YOUR TOOL | 1 SEAT: $2,400 fee
• BRING YOUR TOOL | 2 SEATS: $4,600 fee (save $200)
> Bring your penholder and pointed nib to the workshops.
• DROP IN: $800 (per person per lesson)
> Drop in class of your chosen date, starter kit is not included.
[ Course Curriculum ]
Take a look at the workshop video here
- History of Engrosser's Script
- Table Set Up
- Posture and Pen Grip
- Warm Up Exercises
- Principle Strokes of Minuscules
- Use of Tools - Penholder + Nibs
- Nib Manipulation
- Connect Minuscules to form words
- Use of Tools - Inks
- Connect Majuscules to Minuscules
- Use of Tools - Paper
- Connect Minuscules to form sentences
- Appreciation of Historical Writing - original pieces from the 1800s will be presented for study
- Tricks + Tips
[ Materials Include]
• 1 custom folder with your name calligraphy;
• Handouts and Copysheets;
• Feedback on your weekly homework;
• Calligraphy tools are available for you to sample throughout the course.
[ T & C ]
• students must be aged 16 years or above.
• no refund or no exchange of dates upon registration.
• class size: min. 4, max 14 pax - class maybe cancelled if the min. does not meet, students can opt for a full refund or change to another workshop date.